Monitor Technician - .8 FTE/Night
Company: Lancaster General Health
Posted on: September 15, 2019
CompanyLancaster General HospitalCost Center3580 Centralized
Monitoring UnitSupervisory OrganizationCentralized Monitoring
UnitGradeG06SummaryPOSITION SUMMARY: The Monitor Technician is
responsible for continuous observation of cardiac rhythms in the
Central Monitoring Room. The Monitor Technician interprets cardiac
rhythms and distinguishes between normal and abnormal rhythms. The
Monitor Technican reports cardiac rhythm information in an
accurate, timely manner to nursing staff.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without
reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:Cardiac
Monitoring and Rhythm Analysis
- Admits patient into system and enters all applicable patient
information into the system.
- Verifies that the patient is on the correct telemetry
transmitter upon admission and every shift. Completes the
verification with the appropriate RN.
- Completes all necessary paperwork and files appropriately.
- Obtains report information to include history of cardiac
rhythm, code status, anything that affects cardiac rhythms, and
applicable medications or therapies.
- Analyzes and documents each patient's rhythm strips upon
admission, and at least every 8 hours. Notifies patient's nurse of
- Demonstrates accuracy with cardiac rhythm analysis.
- Requests assistance as needed from the RN for rhythm
- Recognizes conditions that mimic dysrhythmias and alter clarity
of rhythm analysis, such as artifact, 60 cycle interference,
wandering baseline, loose electrode, etc.
- Maintains vigilance at all times, gives 100% of attention to
the cardiac monitors.
- Recognizes situations that require Rapid Response or Code Blue,
takes appropriate action.
- Disinfects telemetry transmitters after each patient use.
- Performs appropriate transfers, and discharges from the
- Dusts monitoring equipment and keeps it clean.
- Maintains the Telemetry Monitoring System, effectively
troubleshoots within job scope.Additional Monitoring
- Adapts and becomes proficient in additional uses of remote
- Documents lead, regularity, atrial rate, P wave integrity, PRI
& QRS interval measurement, final interpretation of cardiac rhythm,
and action or response required.
- Completes this documentation for every patient at least every 8
- Documents rhythm strip analysis immediately pre-code,
intra-code/resuscitation and immediately post code.Communication
- Notifies appropriate nursing staff of rhythm or patient
condition changes upon its discovery.
- Notifies appropriate nursing staff of lethal or malignant
- Maintains regular communication with the RN.
- Notifies nursing assistant or other nursing personnel of leads
- Maintains communication with patient care areas regarding
quality of telemetry transmissions, patient activity, transport,
admission, discharge, transfer, to ensure continuous and accurate
monitoring of patients' cardiac rhythm.
- Communicates patient and unit information to the RN and
interdisciplinary care team in a timely manner.
- Seeks help from RN when needed.
- Never leaves the Monitoring Room unattended. Arranges meal or
break times with designated RN or other qualified personnel to
assure adequate coverage when needed.
- Accepts assignments and performs as a team member.
- Introduces self to patient and explains procedures to patient
and family.SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered
secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Maintains equipment in working order. Uses equipment
appropriately, follows Department policies for equipment and supply
use, cleaning and maintenance.
- Keeps patient care area and work environment neat and
- Other duties as assignedJOB REQUIREMENTSMINIMUM REQUIRED
- High school or equivalent.
- Must successfully complete the Dysrhythmia Course and MST
- Basic computer skills: keyboard, mouse use.
- Ability to clearly and fluently speak, read, write and
- Ability to successfully complete on the job training for LGH
- Must successfully complete annual competency assessment for
cardiac rhythm interpretation.?PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience preferred, but orientation is provided after
successful completion of Dysrhythmia Course.
- CPR certification recommended.
- Ability to complete data entry on clinical documentation
screens.COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTSAttention/Concentration: The
following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus
on certain aspects of current experience and reject others.The
position requires strong concentration skills.? The individual must
have the ability to voluntarily sustain concentration to a task
over an extended period of time as a result of an effortful and
usually deliberate heightened and focused state of attention.New
Learning and Memory: The following level of ability is essential
for the jobholder to learn and retain material.Job demands are only
moderately routine and predictable.? Minor changes may occur which
require the individual to be able to understand and carry out
detailed but uninvolved instructions.Problem Solving, Reasoning and
Creative Thinking: The following level of ability that is essential
for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by
combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative
thought.The position deals with issues or problems that often
require thoughtful reasoning before arriving at approaches or
solutions.? Some independent thought, planning or origination of
options and solutions is necessary.? The individual must have the
ability to apply principles of reasoning and problem solving to
resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete
variables in situations where only limited standardization
exists.APTITUDES:? The following are essential requirements of the
position in relation to job-worker situations.? These items
describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act.Repetitive
work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for
extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or
pace.Communication:? Ability to exchange information with others
clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical
information.Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain
relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and
resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of
others.EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS Equipment/Tools: Computer,
Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, Telemetry
MonitorSoftware: Microsoft Office ProductsPHYSICAL
REQUIREMENTSRarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%;
Continuously 71-100%Body Position/Movement:
- Sit: Frequently
- Stand: Occasionally
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Occasionally
- Push: Rarely
- Pull: Rarely
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Rarely
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: RarelyLifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Moderate,
exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10
pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force
constantly to move objects.Sensory Abilities specifically required:
- Touch/FeelingPHYSICAL ENVIRONMENTWORKING CONDITIONS:Exposure to
hazardous conditions/ materials is negligible.Position involves
exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Moderate Noise Levels
- Radioactive AgentsDisclaimer: This job description is not
intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of
all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions
associated with the job.? It is intended to be a reflection of
those principal job elements essential for recruitment and
selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing
performance standards.? The percentages of time spent performing
job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute.?
The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be
cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of
management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this
job in part or in whole.? Incumbent must be able to perform all job
Keywords: Lancaster General Health, Lancaster , Monitor Technician - .8 FTE/Night, Professions , Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!