Job: Innovation/Prod Design/NPD
Primary location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Relocation offered: Yes
Employment status: Full-Time
Location: Lancaster, PA. A great central location in South
Central Pennsylvania, Lancaster is ideally situated for easy access
to major metropolitan cities such as Philadelphia, Baltimore,
Washington DC, and New York City. Lancaster offers a vibrant arts
and entertainment community with wonderful historic sites,
B&Bs, museums, great shopping, entertainment venues and
As our Manager, Technical Process Development, you will mainly
be accountable for forming strong relationships with both existing
mineral fiber plants as well as the Architectural Specialties
operations and for effectively facilitating the idea generation
process for new process improvements and support the transfer of
science-based improvements to manufacturing operations.
Why should you join Armstrong World Industries?
Armstrong World Industries (AWI) is a leader in the design and
manufacture of innovative commercial and residential ceiling, wall
and suspension system solutions in the Americas. With approximately
$1B in revenue, AWI has about 2,500 employees and a manufacturing
network of twelve facilities.
At home, at work, in healthcare facilities, classrooms, stores,
or restaurants, we offer interior solutions that help to enhance
comfort, save time, improve building efficiency and overall
performance, and create beautiful spaces.
For more than 150 years, we have built our business on trust and
integrity. It set us apart then, and it sets us apart now, along
with our ability to collaborate with and innovate for the people
we're here to serve - our customers, our shareholders, our
communities and our employees.
We are committed to developing new and sustainable ceiling
solutions, with design and performance possibilities that make a
positive difference in spaces where we live, work, learn, heal and
play. It's an exciting, rewarding business to be in, and we're
committed to continue to grow and prosper for the benefit of all of
our stakeholders. We hope you join us.
What does it mean to work at Armstrong?
It means being immersed in a supportive culture that recognizes
you as a key player in Armstrong's future. We are a large company
with a local feel, where you will get to know and collaborate with
leadership and your colleagues across the company.
By joining us, you'll have the opportunity to make the most of
your potential. Alongside a competitive remuneration package, you
- A benefits package including: medical, dental, prescription
drug, life insurance, 401k match, long-term disability coverage,
vacation and sick time, product discount programs and many
- Personal development to grow your career with us based on your
strengths and interests.
- A casual work environment where we have a recognition program
for our team, and service awards. You will also be able to make the
most of our fitness center and lunchtime cafe.
- A working culture that balances individual achievement with
teamwork and collaboration. We draw on each other's strengths and
allow for different work styles to build engagement and
satisfaction to deliver results.
What you'll be doing:
Safety & Environmental
- Lead in Safety both formally and informally to sustain
- Ensure compliance to company and regulatory standards
- Develop mindset and culture of zero injuries based on risk
- Achieve high standards of 5S & housekeeping to minimize risks &
- Sustain environmental compliance
Operating Plan - Development and Execution
- Actively participate in leadership and group staff meetings to
- Drive effective and disciplined use of project management and
related sub-processes including Stage-gate process and other
related standard work
- Collaborate manufacturing and third-party vendors and suppliers
to provide new technology solutions
- Partner between Manufacturing and Innovation and routinely
provide status reports
- Manage portfolio of new process and product development
opportunities; act as coach and mentor to teams as they navigate
research and development pipeline
- Build relationships across all functions and gain sponsors for
new processes and product ideas
- Create, plan, and manage the TPD (Technical Process
Development) budget, including travel & project expense as well as
capital for product and process-based innovations
- Lead TPD Group within Technology to support new process and
- Identify and leverage emerging science and technology which is
essential to achieve new and core business strategic and
- Develop well-defined strategies to support implementation teams
to drive Productivity gains at the plants
- Ensure all front-end activities for new process are in
alignment with current and projected business strategies, targeted
capabilities, and market needs
- Support determination of technical and economic feasibility of
new process and product concepts and potential modifications to
- Network both inside and outside of AWI to identify enabling
technologies including Open Innovation to drive accelerated growth
- Seek opportunities to employ use of digitalization in the
manufacturing process and disseminate breakthrough solutions.
Talent Management & Lean Leadership
- Develop high potential leaders and leadership teams
- Create high-quality performance management and talent
- Lead and utilize LEAN/SIX SIGMA and AGILE principles to improve
overall effectiveness of process development activities
- Champion Agile Project Management methodology and tools for
- Implement Lean Managing Systems - Gemba Walks, VSTs, Value
Stream Mapping and Transformation, and Visual Management
- Apply Lean tools and methods to achieve results and develop a
What will make you successful:
- Bachelor's degree in Science or Engineering, or other
- 10+ years of experience within a science & engineering field
associated with managing process and product development
- 5+ years of direct personnel management experience
- Excellent project management and analytical skills:
Demonstrable results within the field of process and product
- Strong facilitation skills and ability to motivate and inspire
- Experience with creating, planning, and managing budgets
- Strong knowledge of process improvement tools and techniques
such as Lean, Six Sigma Greenbelt, and Blackbelt training.
- Masters or PhD
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies & tools
- Experience in the application of Digital tools to support
Armstrong World Industries (AWI) is an equal opportunity,
affirmative action employer and we value diversity at our company.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Accommodation statement: If you need a reasonable accommodation
for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email
at AWI talent acquisition and let us know the nature of your
request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation
will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only
inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be
responded to from this email address.
Come and build your future with us and apply today!