Phlebotomy & Customer Service Specialist (20hrs/week, 1st shift)
Company: Lancaster General Health
Posted on: November 11, 2019
CompanyLancaster General HospitalCost Center7680 WBH-Laboratory
TestingSupervisory OrganizationSOP/WBH - Lab
TestingGradeG07SummaryPOSITION SUMMARY: Provides complete and
accurate patient scheduling, registration, insurance verification,
ordering of tests and coordination of applicable screening,
diagnostic, physician office and outpatient hospital services.?
Capable of coordinating and communicating effectively during
increased volumes or with complex patients. This position requires
clinical skills in the following functional areas:? phlebotomy,
EKG, holter monitors, point-of-care testing and specimen
collection. Maintains required competency skills.ESSENTIAL
FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or
without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following
- Performs venipuncture and capillary specimen collection in an
- Validates patient identity, specimen integrity and maintains
working knowledge of specimen requirements and all clinical
- Documents all stages of specimen collection in required
computer systems including investigating and processing orders,
?receiving? specimens, canceling tests, running collection lists
and producing and using reconciliation reports.
- Maintains clinical skills necessary to perform duty/job.
- Completes cleaning tasks utilizing regulatory standards.
- Performs maintenance and/or inventory of equipment and supplies
according to unit/department standards.Registration
- Performs complete and accurate patient registration including
but not limited to walk in, check-in, and/or scheduled
- Demonstrates ability to successfully adapt and perform during
times of high volumes and/or high patient acuity.? Demonstrates
skill to service both inpatient and outpatient, if necessary.?
- Supports inbound and outbound calls to or from patients,
guests, or appropriate parties as needed to provide services.
Screens and accurately relays messages using protocols established
for emergent, urgent and non-urgent calls.?
- Verifies patient, guarantor, coverage and hospital account
information. Performs required referral/authorization processes and
enters orders for applicable tests.?
- Understands insurance company coverage and
referral/authorization requirements of payors.? Performs electronic
and manual verification of insurance coverage and understands how
to read and accurately apply electronic insurance responses.
- Prepares and/or releases records or orders in the e-Health
record. Scans all necessary documents into appropriate medical
record. Understands the importance of patient?s medical information
that is documented on paper.
- Completes assigned patient scheduling and registration work
queues according to performance standards.?? Ability to resolve
work queue issues and missing registration items via electronic
- Disseminates or discusses information with the patients
regarding co-pays, out of pocket expenses, pre-appointment
preparation, arrival times, etc.
- Understands and supports Point of Service Collections. Performs
all necessary functions needed to collect patient financial
obligations.SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are
considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Additional clinical procedures including but not limited to:
EKG, holter monitors, 24 hr Blood pressure or vital signs.
- Other duties as assigned.JOB REQUIREMENTSMINIMUM REQUIRED
- ?High school diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of educational requirements (additional formal
education/training; maximum supervision for initial competency;
yearly competency evaluation and training).
- CPR certification within 6 months of hire. (Current employees
have until 6/1/2016 to obtain CPR certification).
- One (1) year of clerical, customer service, or administrative
support experience in a highly customer-oriented organization.
- One (1) year experience with basic keyboarding, personal
computer use, and other office setting equipment.PREFERRED
- Previous phlebotomy or registration experience. Training will
be provided upon hire.
- One (1) year of Epic (or equivalent Electronic Medical Record)
- The position requires the ability to attend to a specific
stimulus without being distracted by extraneous environmental
stimuli.? The individual must be able to attend to environmental
detail with the ability to separate essential from non-essential or
irrelevant stimuli.? The attention skills required are generally
considered to be automatic - - passive, but focused with an intact
capacity for select perception.New Learning and Memory:
- A large portion of this position required reliance on verbal
memory and new learning.? Efficiency in processing of verbal
information, either in written or spoken form, is a major
requirement and prerequisite of the job.? The individual must be
able to attend to and process multiple bits of information
simultaneously.? The individual must be able to organize and
categorize this information effectively so that later recall is
feasible.Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking:
- The requirement for autonomous problem solving or creativity of
thought in the position is minimal.? Problems encountered tend to
involve a few concrete variables in or from standardized
situations.? Typically involves adhering to a chart or set
procedure.TEMPERAMENTS:? The following are essential requirements
of the position in relation to job-worker situations.? These items
describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or
act:??????Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same
type of work for extended periods of time, according to set
procedures, sequence or pace.Working within tolerances, set limits
or standards: Ability to adapt to situations requiring the precise
attainment of set limits, tolerances, or standards; to be precise,
thorough, exacting, or meticulous in regard to material worked; or
in activities such as numerical determinations, record preparation,
or inspecting.Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to
perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical,
unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working
speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is
subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent
part of the job.Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of
duties, often changing from one task to another of a different
nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving
significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures,
environmental factors, physical demands, or work
situations.Communication:? Ability to exchange information with
others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical
information.Planning and control: Ability to identify task
requirements and monitor progress toward
accomplishment.Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain
relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and
resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of
others.EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS Equipment/Tools: Computer,
Phone, Printer, Fax, Copier, Refrigerator, Office Supplies, blood
drawing devices, needles, syringesSoftware: Microsoft Office
ProductsPHYSICAL REQUIREMENTSRarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%;
Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%Body Position/Movement:
- Sit: Continuously
- Stand: Occasionally
- Walk: Occasionally
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Rarely
- Pull: Rarely
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Rarely
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: RarelyLifting: Degree of physical exertion is:Light,
exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible
amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.Sensory
Abilities specifically required:
- Touch/FeelingPHYSICAL ENVIRONMENTWORKING CONDITIONS: Position
involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne PathogensDisclaimer: This job description is not
intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of
all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions
associated with the job.? It is intended to be a reflection of
those principal job elements essential for recruitment and
selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing
performance standards.? The percentages of time spent performing
job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute.?
The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be
cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of
management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this
job in part or in whole.? Incumbent must be able to perform all job
Keywords: Lancaster General Health, Lancaster , Phlebotomy & Customer Service Specialist (20hrs/week, 1st shift), Healthcare , Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!