Phlebotomy Technician - Inpatient (Full Time Day Shift)
Company: Lancaster General Health
Posted on: January 21, 2023
Position is fast paced, with a lot of walking. Candidate must be
able to work well alone and with a team during stressful
Phlebotomists are vital in the production of clinical laboratory
results. It is their responsibility to obtain quality blood
specimens which play a crucial role in in a majority clinical
decisions. In addition to a knowledge of anatomy, blood collection
techniques, proper infection control procedures, phlebotomists must
have strong communication and interpersonal skills reflecting the
utmost professionalism. (This job description is applicable to Penn
Medicine/Lancaster General Health Phlebotomy Technician positions
assigned within the Lancaster General Hospital (inpatient) and at
the Womens & Babies Hospital (WBH).
HOURS: Full Time (40 hours/week) 1st shift, working 6:00 am-2:30 pm
weekdays and every other weekend (Saturday and Sunday). Rotating
on-call and holidays.
LOCATION: Lancaster General Hospital 555 N. Duke Street, Lancaster,
SIGN ON BONUS: $1000 (external candidates only)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability
(with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following
- In a hospital inpatient setting, performs venipuncture and
capillary puncture blood collection according to laboratory
policies, procedures, and regulatory standards. This includes
Intensive Care Units, Medical Nursing Units, Emergency Department,
and Trauma Bay.
- Optimizes patient care by providing timely and accurate
collection of blood specimens on both pediatric and adult
- Maintains patient safety by accurately identifying patients and
associating the collected sample with the patient.
- Follows all proper organizational Infection Control procedures
and isolation protocols, including but not limited to Airborne,
Droplet, and Contact Isolation.
- Uses technology such as computer applications to organize and
facilitate efficient patient care.
- Works continually within multidisciplinary teams. This includes
but is not limited to response to code situations (patient
requiring resuscitative efforts) such as Trauma, Stroke,
Hemodynamic Stability, and Cardiac events.
- Performs blood collection in environments of extreme stress and
difficult emotional situations with proficiency.
- Navigate and mitigate work within a hazardous environment
utilizing critical thinking and situational awareness.
- Carries out lab testing at the bedside with point of care
testing devices including performance, evaluation, and trouble
shooting of quality control on bedside analyzers.
- Provide compassionate care in a professional manner.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary
to the primary duties listed above:
- Facilitates on-boarding of new staff
- Participates in activities for maintenance of CAP and ISO15189
- Serves as point person by assuming departmental roles
pertaining to Safety, Charge, Materials Management.
- For positions at WBH, duties also include the following:
--- Identifies specimens and accurately matches identification
parameters. Correctly labels all specimen types. Takes action to
reconcile identification concerns.
--- Competently processes specimens within specified lab area.
--- Performs clerical functions such as answering the phone,
checking physician orders on requisitions and document filing.
--- Enters specimen information and related data into laboratory
information system (LIS).
--- Identifies and resolves problems within area of expertise.
--- Ability to operate instrumentation appropriate to specified lab
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
High School diploma or equivalent
- Certification as a Phlebotomist.
- Experience in a health care setting.
- Customer care experience.
Benefits At A Glance:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following
benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity
Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings
will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race,
color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,
marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any
other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE
LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting
unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment
opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by
search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL
HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at
Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid
written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed
the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH , and
no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN
MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or
through other means.
LGH Full Time Posted on 01/10/2023
Keywords: Lancaster General Health, Lancaster , Phlebotomy Technician - Inpatient (Full Time Day Shift), Healthcare , Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!